If there is one recipe that I am known for, it is MOST DEFINITELY my…..
Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
I can not tell you the countless amounts of times I have sold this to friends, made it for parties, been BEGGED for the recipe and held onto my recipe TIGHT…. well, until now. What’s the point of perfecting a recipe for years if I can’t share with the masses! My Aunt Dianne Marlow Ward taught me how to make macaroni and cheese and I thank her every day for teaching me the basics! (R.I.P Auntie!)
Over the years, I have tried all types of different kind of cheese blends and finally created a recipe that is absolutely delightful!
- 16oz box of elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup of Wisconsin Cheddar
- 1/2 cup of Manchego Cheese
- 1/2 cup of Cave Aged Cheddar
- 1/4 cup of Celtic Cheddar
All of the cheese’s listed above can be found at Trader Joe’s. They have such an exceptional variety of cheese, my palate refused to buy cheese elsewhere…or is it my brain? Anywho….
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper
Mae’s Crunchy Topping
- 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of French’s Fried Onions
- 1 tsp of italian herbs
- Preheat your oven to 350*
- Boil your elbow macaroni according to the packages directions, rinse and place in a lightly sprayed baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, heat your 2 tsp of butter over low heat and combine with the 2 tsp of flour to create a roux. Whisking constantly, it should be a nutty brown color after about 5 minutes…..then you know its ready! (this part is crucial to continue whisking so you are lump free and ready to roll).
- Once the roux is slightly bubbly and brown, add the heavy cream and turn your burner up to medium. Whisk the heavy cream and roux mixture until they become cohesive and begin to thicken. At this time, add just a 1/4 cup of milk and whisk, whisk, whisk away! (only for a few minutes!) If needed, add the remaining 1/4 cup milk if too thick.
- Now….time for the GLORIOUS creation that is: CHEESE. Add all your cheeses into the pan and whisk until smooth and the consistency of liquiddddd goldddd (in my Goldmember voice….of course!)
- In your prepared dish with the macaroni, pour the cheese sauce in and mix everything together so there is cheese in EVERY. SINGLE. BITE. 🙂
- Gather the topping mixture, put into a small Ziploc bag and get out the day’s frustrations with a good punching to the bag! Sprinkle it evenly over the mac and cheese and pop into the oven!
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the topping begins to brown and ENJOY!!!!
This recipe is seriously life to me. I make wayyy too much macaroni and cheese and do not see myself stopping unless I have doctors order’s. Make this tonight and I promise you…..no more box kraft mac and cheese for you! Please leave any questions, a like and commentary you may have! Have a blessed Saturday evening everyone! <3 🙂